The sidewalks are buried in plowed snow, so you have to walk in the street. Gotta keep taking the ash out from the wood-fired stove. And it’s dark two-thirds of each day. But that’s not the worst. Just consider …
- Slipping on ice and shoveling snow, especially at the end of the driveway where the city snowplows pack us in.
- Driving in freezing rain.
- Comparing the weather reports to each other and to what actually happens. Rarely does anything match.
- Watching the woodpile shrink.
- Utility bills.
- The house is always cold – and stiff winds make it only worse.
- Things break.
- Frozen pipes or drains.
- Cabin fever.
- The rock-hard ground.
How do you feel about winter?