Once the renovations are finished in our old Cape, we’ll be looking to pick up where we left off in Dover, back before Covid interrupted travel and entertaining.
In no particular order, among the guests we remember fondly:
- Primary election volunteers who often slept on our floors, including a Congressional chief of staff, a British journalist, an authority on smallpox and anthrax, and Muslim college students from Detroit.
- Chinese college students doing volunteer internships.
- The quirky, queer, Quaker comedian and performance artist and Bible scholar. Seriously.
- The retired economics professor and Friends committee colleague.
- My usual roommate at Yearly Meeting sessions.
- My best friend from my high school year, despite my living on the wrong side of the tracks.
- My former landlords in the Happy Valley.
- The other Quaker among Baltimore Mennonites and his wife.
- The Passamaquoddy traditional healer and his apprentice.
- My goddaughter, most recently from Germany, and any of her friends, including the one who grew up to become mayor of a notable Maine city.
Who have been among your favorite guests?