For me, it’s:
- Pie, rather than cake.
- Really creamy vanilla ice cream.
- Or gelato. I’m more open to other flavors here, too. Unless it’s Tahitian vanilla, which comes close to ambrosia.
- My wife’s really changed my mind here.
- Anything creamy, actually. Tapioca float, panna cotta, custard – she knows the long list.
- Crème brulee. Don’t tell me it’s mostly custard, not when it’s done right. And that shattery top is like walking on ice-covered puddles when we were kids. You just love to hear it crackle.
- Blueberry torte, as my wife makes it. With our own blueberries, natch. Makes a great breakfast, too.
- A hearty red wine accompanying a chunk of dark chocolate.
- Or their cousins, creampuffs or eclairs.
- Fresh strawberries, as in shortcake. (Well, you wouldn’t call that cake now, would you?) Although actually, I tend to think of this more as starting the day.
What would you add to the list?
Of course, this is totally unrelated to the theme. Just another thing on my mind.