(Well, almost every morning – and waking up doesn’t count.)
- Shuffle down the stairs to the kitchen. Get a big mug of thick coffee laced with milk and sugar.
- Climb to my third-floor studio, boot up, check up on WordPress activity.
- And then emails and other social media.
- Get a round of Duolingo Spanish in. Muy bien.
- Return to the second floor. Dental hygiene. Good boy!
- Down to the ground floor. Be briefed on the overnight news by my wife. This can’t be happening. Glance at the day’s front-page headlines. Consider the weather forecasts.
- Regard the birds at the feeder. The squirrels, too.
- Get a second big mug of coffee, perhaps accompanied by toast and jam or homemade yogurt.
- Return to my studio to focus on a round of writing and revision. Butt time, as Charles Bukowski so aptly put it.
- Back to the bedroom. Dress properly for the rest of the day … and shift gears for whatever’s at the top of my to-do list.
So how do you jump start your day?
Baskets of all sizes and shapes hang from the beams in our kitchen.Of course, this is totally unrelated to the theme. Just another thing on my mind.