It’s in the air. Can’t help but wonder.
- Raise taxes on the super-rich to bring them more into line with the rest of the populace. Like if you own 50 percent of the wealth, you pay at least 50 percent of the federal budget. Use the income for health care, education, and similar benefits for all citizens. (Yes, it’s income redistribution … but so is an economy where cheap imports keep lowering wages.)
- Support environmental action and sustainable economics. We’d be back in the Paris climate control accords, for certain.
- Raise the cap on Social Security contributions by the rich. Of course, we can afford Social Security if we’re willing. Just raise the cap on the superrich.
- Demand auditing controls on military expenditures. Bernie’s right on this one.
- Impose a national sales tax for health care relief for domestic manufacturers. This would level the playing field when it comes to imports versus homegrown.
- The next step? Medicare for all.
- Raise the minimum wage. Nobody can live on the current level. It’s an insult to the value of labor.
- Recognize a shorter work week as the basis for benefits and workplace protections.
- Break up the banking and financial conglomerates. Too big to fail is an invitation to another colossal collapse.
- Name Barack Obama to the Supreme Court.
OK, since we’re dreaming, I’d also have a problem-solving Congress. One without Mitch McConnell.
What would you do?