Few Americans know much, if anything, about the Ozarks, where Jaya and Joshua resettle in my novel Nearly Canaan.
Here are some driving times to points from Fayetteville, Arkansas, to major cities.
- St. Louis: 5 hours, 20 minutes.
- Memphis: 4 hours, 39 minutes.
- Tulsa: 1 hour, 55 minutes.
- Dallas: 5 hours, 13 minutes.
- New Orleans: 9 hours, 41 minutes.
- Kansas City: 3 hours, 32 minutes.
- Nashville: 8 hours, 47 minutes.
- Denver: 11 hours, 53 minutes.
- Chicago: 9 hours, 52 minutes.
- New York: 12 hours, 17 minutes.
Frankly, the Ozarks is more isolated than I’d thought. I’m surprised that its center is almost as far from New Orleans as it is from Chicago or that it’s halfway between St. Louis and Dallas. Looks like a long way to anywhere, actually.
How long does it take you to get to a major destination?