My novel What’s Left has me thinking about families – especially like Cassia’s Greek-American household in Indiana.
- Number of single-parent families in the U.S.: 13.7 million (27 percent).
- Number of Greek-Americans: 1.3 million to 3 million of full Greek ancestry estimated. (With her mixed ancestry, Cassia wound not be counted here.)
- Number of Greeks in Indianapolis area, 1900: 29.
- Number of Greek-Americans (full ancestry) in Indiana: 23,993 (2010).
- Number of family businesses in U.S.: 5.5 million.
- Greek diners: More than 600 founded in New York area between 1950 and 1970 alone.
- Number of diners in New Jersey: about 525 (the leading state).
- Greek-menu restaurants in U.S.: 3,100.
- First Greek Orthodox church in the U.S.: New Orleans, by 1866
- First Greek Orthodox church in Indiana: Holy Trinity, Indianapolis, 1910.