The mind dances here and there, rarely in a linear fashion. So what’s on my mind these days? How about counting on these fingers?
- She’s big on Christmas traditions, including our observing Advent these days. I’m still surprised she inherited none of it in her family! Created it like a radical quilt. Makes this array all the more remarkable, from my perspective.
- Slush on the windshield. Ice underfoot.
- Winter’s setting in, though I’m already tired of it.
- The earliest sunsets of the year have plateau’d and are already inching back in my part of the world. The oppressive late-afternoon darkness will soon be obviously relenting. We don’t wait for the solstice.
- I like the Eastern Orthodox insight of Mary as the Mother of Light.
- In reality, I hate being the caretaker, responsible one, cleaner-upper, put-awayer. Contrary to my self-image.
- It’s been a long road to here. Sometimes it feels like a hangover.
- In working a seasonal job, she has a curious freedom in not having to worry about being fired, losing the mortgage, and so on. Just put the hours in and go home.
- Whatever happened to my collection of winter scarves? (As if I really need to ask.)
- Authenticity: something that speaks to the bones.